Apple was involved in one of the Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2013, according to the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform’s (ILR), an organization that “seeks to promote civil justice reform through legislative, political, judicial, and educational activities at the national, state, and local levels.”
A man who said he became addicted to pornography after accidentally visiting an adult website sued Apple for not blocking them. According to the plaintiff, the sites “appealed to his biological sensibilities as a male and led to an unwanted addiction with adverse consequences,” including “desiring, younger more beautiful girls featured in porn videos than his wife, who was no longer 21.”
ILR announced the Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2013 from votes cast throughout the year by visitors to FacesOfLawsuitAbuse.org. The lawsuits were selected from those featured in the website’s monthly polls for 2013. The Faces of Lawsuit Abuse campaign is ILR’s public awareness effort created to highlight the impact of abusive lawsuits on businesses, communities, and individuals.
“Whether cringe-worthy or laugh-out-loud ridiculous, ask yourself: ‘is this really what we want our legal system to look like?’” said ILR President Lisa A. Rickard. “Abusive lawsuits both big and small take a collective toll on our society and our economy. We should resolve to make 2014 a year where lawsuits are a last resort, not a first reaction.”
The Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2013 are:
1. Inmates’ suit blames a life of crime on beer companies (ID)
2. Ohio teacher claims fear of children in suit against district (OH)
3. Student kicked off school track team for absences, Dad sues county for $40 million (NJ)
4. Woman suing over “severe and permanent injuries” still able to complete half-marathon (WV)
5. Lawsuit claims ‘footlong’ sandwiches come up short (NJ)
6. Grown man sues parents for their “indifference” to his problems (NY)
7. Customer sues restaurant over hostess’ rude comment (WV)
8. Grad student who received free tuition sues school over grade (PA)
9. Two years to toss suit from robber who sued shop owner (AZ)
10. Man sues Apple for his porn addiction (TN)
Links to the full news stories from which these were drawn and the complete results of the poll can be found at http://facesoflawsuitabuse.org/polls-archive.